Forensic psychiatry is a highly specialized field with a focus on the intersection of psychiatric issues and law. Consultation, evaluation, report writing and/or testimony are completed by the psychiatric expert for legal purposes in civil or criminal cases.
Dr. Vinson completed a forensic psychiatry fellowship at Emory University, where she developed skills in the performance and documentation of forensic psychiatric evaluations. She is nationally board certified in Forensic Psychiatry. While completing her training at Emory, she gained familiarity with pertinent federal and state case law. Additionally, she received instruction and gained experience in providing legal testimony. She now teaches forensic psychiatry through her faculty appointments at Morehouse School of Medicine and Emory School of Medicine. With her background in child & adolescent psychiatry, Dr. Vinson is not only able to perform evaluations of children & adolescents, but she can also take a more thorough developmental approach in her evaluations of adults.
Dr. Vinson has experience working as the Medical Director of the Emory University/Fulton County Jail Competency Restoration Program and as a Grady psychiatric physician on an Assertive Community Treatment team that served many patients with legal histories. She currently works at the Department of Juvenile Justice providing direct patient care to incarcerated youth. Dr. Vinson also has expertise in performing psycho-sexual evaluations of adolescents accused of sexual offenses. She has been certified as an approved administrator for a highly specialized psychological exam that provides an objective measure of sexual interest, which can be incorporated in her consultations and forensic reports. She has also provided consultation regarding child witness credibility and child forensic interviews and has been retained by both the prosecution and the defense for such cases. In this work, her clinical expertise was augmented by her completion of Interview Training by the nationally recognized leader, CornerHouse in Minnesota.
Some highlights of her experience are as follows:
- Admitted as an expert witness in adult psychiatry, child psychiatry, trauma and forensic interviewing of children
- Admitted as an expert and has testified in civil, family, criminal, state and federal courts
- Consultation to prosecuting, defense, family law, civil and political asylum attorneys and courts
Past Consultation and Evaluation topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Competency to stand trial
- Criminal responsibility/insanity defense
- Trauma Evaluations in Criminal Court including Capital Murder Cases
- Competency to Waive Miranda
- Psychosexual Evaluations of Adolescents accused of sex offenses
- Psychic Injury
- Fitness for Duty
- Title IX Litigation
- Forensic Interview of Children - Conducting Interviews and Review of Prior Interviews
- Malpractice Litigation
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Political Asylum
- Parental Fitness
For forensic psychiatry referrals, email DrVinson@LorioPsychGroup.com or call 404-249-0520 ext. 1.